Monday, October 17, 2011

fallen trees

Our little woods is getting sparse.  Jubilee and I had expected to be on the road today, headed for Florida.  The delay is giving us more time to watch the late autumn here in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

While we were walking today we heard a shot, then a rat-a-tat, which at first I thought were gunshots that sounded very near (too near).  Then we heard a resounding crash, and saw a large tree fall to the ground a little ways a way.  Then a couple more little rat-a-tats.  And then just silence.  It was quite thrilling, to tell you the truth.  Jubilee got very excited.  I thought of Frank and smiled at the beauty of it all.  Frank would have loved the big bang.  You can't see the fallen tree, but this is the general direction ...
Here is a moss covered fallen tree that has intrigued me for awhile but I've never been able to get a photo of it that I was happy with.  Turns out, I think, that I was trying to look at it too closely.  You have to be back a ways to see it.
 And some more random looks around.  The fallen oak leaves remind me of a Matisse painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment