Monday, May 9, 2011

the mysterious bud-bloom

The other night while we were walking in the woods (Knob Hill Park), John remarked on the large buds on a tree.  I didn't have my camera with me at the time so I didn't get a photo.  But this morning I noticed that some of the buds had partially bloomed.

I'm curious as to what this is eventually going to look like.  Some of the bud-blooms are on small branch like bushes near the ground and others go all the way to the tops of the trees ...  Same bud-bloom.
I'll keep an eye on them.

The dogwood is still in bloom and lovely.  Many (most?) of the trees are already fully leafed out.  I'd say we're moving into late spring now, more toward the summer side of things.  It was in the low 40s this morning, but warming up to the low 70s.  Spring is a drawn out affair here in Western PA, with many various stages.  It certainly doesn't happen all at once!  I suppose all seasons (and all time) is like that if you watch it closely enough.

4 comments:

  1. This might help.
    www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/commontr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Larry. I'll look through it. I think what fascinates me is how the bud gives way to a cluster (and even a cluster of clusters) of leaves, each little leaf almost fully formed (but small) within it. It's not like

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I sent you a wrong link. Should be for wildflowers rather than trees. Try this one.

    http://www.pawildflower.org/image-gallery-categories/category/1-flowers-and-plants

    PA has a lot of interesting wild plants. Even in cities, they'll be sections that are still wild and unmaintained where you can find wild plants and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I've seen a lot of those wildflowers! Thanks, Larry.

    ReplyDelete