Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CSA Box #1

Today we got our first CSA box.  What does CSA mean?  Community Supported Agriculture.  We've bought a 12-week share in the Penn's Corner Farm Alliance, which means that each week we'll get a box of whatever is being harvested in the local farmers' fields.  This week we got:
  • Ivory Lace Cheese (harvarti style), Hidden Hills Dairy
  • 2 bulbs garlic, Clubhouse Gardens, CF
  • 2# heirloom tomatoes, Nu Way Farm, CF
  • 1.5# prune plums, Dawson’s Orchards
  • 1# green tomatoes, Crighton’s Farm
  • leek bunch, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
  • 2# peaches, Dawson’s Orchard (for real this time!)
  • 2# russet potatoes, Weeping Willow Farm, CF
  • 1.5# eggplant, Matthew’s Farm or Sunny Meadow Farm, CF
Tonight we had a stir fry of the green tomatoes, leeks, garlic added to some red pepper and beet greens that I already had in the refrigerator.  Yum.

3 comments:

  1. We have something like this in my area of Montreal, but I worry that I will get stuck with vegetables I don't know what to do with -- rutabagas, beets, the like. It would be a good education for me, though. I have got out of the habit of cooking much for myself. I used to be such an avid cook. I do a great risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have some of that risotto . I LOVE risotto. I have a good recipe but haven't made it in awhile. This CSS box is going to make sure we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite risotto is called 'dirty risotto' and the recipe is in Giada DiLaurentis' Italian Family Dinners cookbook. I love that woman's cooking! So simple, so direct and fresh, so Italian! If I make osso bucco, I make a saffron-flavoured risotto with mushrooms in it. Now that the cool weather is coming, I look forward to making risotto more often.

    ReplyDelete