Tuesday, August 16, 2011

volunteering

Today I volunteered.  I'm not really a volunteer-er, but I wanted a way to connect with local people.  So I went with a group from the local Catholic Church to a place called "World Vision".   It was a warehouse up on a hill near Pittsburgh.  For 3 hours we opened boxes of books (donated by the major stores) and sorted them according to language and type, and then re-boxed them and coded the boxes.  It was tedious, robot-like work.  After 3 hours on my feet my back hurt and I wondered whether children in Africa needed books that no one in America wanted to read.  (They were 90% Christian devotional books, none of which interested me.)  But I did feel a lot more connected to the people I volunteered with, and empathy for the people work in factories all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment