Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Our Xmas Tree this year

This is our Xmas tree this year - a lovely paper origami made by Taylor Wells. Taylor has been incarcerated since 1993. We've known him since 1980, when he was 5 years old. A wonderfully creative, sensitive, and kind young man, we are honored with his friendship all these years.

I've had the creche since about 1955.  My father brought it home from Gethsemane one Xmas Eve.  It was made by one of the monks, and is about the only sentimental thing that I bring out, Christmas after Christmas. 

The intriguing abstract ink painting was made by our faithful and delightful cyber-friend from Montreal.  She sent it as a card to us last Xmas, and the only work of art in our little apartment/cave here in Cranberry TWP.  We enjoy it immensely.

It all sits upon a bookcase that John found in the dumpster.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that Christmas tree. All I have nowadays is a spray of silver-painted twigs. I am honoured by the place my wee painting has on your mantel. It looks well framed. I have to select one that will work well with the last one. I have a piece in mind -- my teacher wanted me to keep it as a part of a complete work, but I had already decided to cut it out and place it on a card. One minute she thinks it is OK (so-so) and then it is worth saving. Phooey! I like it and want to use it for a card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will love it, Barbara. I love ALL of your artwork! When this one has a partner, I will put them on the wall - hooks and holes and all!

    I love the Xmas tree too. It carries a lot of meaning for us, with a lot of years of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete