Monday, March 18, 2013

icy day


My car was encapsulated in ice so hard that the de-icer thing didn't work.  I had to wait for the car to warm up enough to melt it!  Not a good sign.  Fortunately, John was able to take off work to drive me into Pittsburgh for my doctor's appointment.  His car is heavier and was much more reliable in the freezing rain.

The views of Pittsburgh from the parking garage were gloomy ...
 The roof rack on John's car was nothing but icicles.
 This was from one of the rooms at Mercy Hospital.  All of the rooms in the hospital have a simple little cross over the doors.  This is interesting because Mercy, formerly a Catholic owned hospital, is now owned by UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center), a huge conglomerate of hospitals and clinics blanketing this area.  I asked someone about the crosses at Mercy and they said that they must've written it into the contract during the buyout.  Crosses have to stay (or something like that).  It's interesting, because I seldom see anything like this anymore, other than in specifically religious settings.

Anyway, back to the ice ... as we were driving home we were both awed by the white, icy trees.  There is no snow, yet everything - trees, branches, fences - is encapsulated in a layer of ice.

 This is coming into Westinghouse's parking lot ...
  
 

2 comments:

  1. Ice storms create a faeryland landscape, but they are treacherous. Glad you got to and fro safely. We are expecting up to 10 in of wet Spring snow tonight into tomorrow. The angel Ray owes me, so I expect him to clear things out.

    I have had to dig my car out from inches of ice. Windshield de-icer never cuts it, really. Heat the windshield and start hacking away. Do you have rear window defrosters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe, Barbara. I hope the angel shows up.

    That's just what I did - turned on the heat and started hacking! Yes, luckily I have a rear window defroster, but the problem were the rear view mirrors. Even though I scraped them, they were outside and kept re-freezing. You really need those things!

    I have to go back into the PGH hospital tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be better.

    ReplyDelete