Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rain and mezuzahs

The clouds pile up like this most every day, but nothing much ever comes of it.  Maybe a little sprinkle, but not likely.  The rains usually start by mid-May.  I only remember one other year in the last 30 that it was dry until July.  My neighbor tells me that was 1997, which sounds about right.  Meanwhile the temperatures climb to the mid 90s with a heat index of 105 degrees F.    I keep the air conditioning at 80 degrees, with an overhead fan, and that feels like an ice box when coming in from outside!

I stay somewhat busy with some computer lessons, but most everyone has headed North.  That picture on the left is a "mezuzah", which most all the Jewish people have on their doorways.  I didn't know what it was until I came to know so many Jewish people in Florida and they adopted me as their computer teacher.  I think they they've adopted me as an honorary Jew as well, which is fine with me.  Why not?  Growing up in a small town in KY, I only knew 2 Jewish families and they had to go into Louisville to attend a synagogue.

The mezuzah is actually a piece of parchment that is rolled up and placed inside the decorative case.  On the parchment is a Jewish prayer which begins with:

"Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is One".

It is a quite lovely custom.  Even the Jews who are not religious have a mezuzah on their doorways.

The NSS on my car is acting up again so I am really looking for a new car now, even though I'm nursing a sore throat and slight fever which mysteriously came after going to the dentist last week.  Getting stuck somewhere in this heat is not the thing to do.  Jubilee is improved and her mischievous personality has returned.  She goes in Friday for some vaccinations and a checkup.

2 comments:

  1. I live in "mezuzah-land"! A block or two away is the town of Cote St Luc, which is majoritarily Jewish. There are many varieties of synagogues around, a Conservative one just across the park. I used to be friends with the cantor's wife, but they moved to Israel. When I visited her apartment, I noted how many in the same building had mezuzahs on their door lintels. It is a beautiful custom.

    How did the check up go? Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in a good hands, Barbara. Montreal sounds like such a fascinating city.

    Jubilee got a clean bill of health - the vet and her staff couldn't believe that she looked so good. They said that they had never seen her look so sick as when I brought her in 2 weeks ago. In about a month (when the steroid wears off) we will re-evaluate how to treat her allergies. It may be that I can give her an over the counter anti-histamines, like claratin.

    I'm feeling much better, but I have to go back to the dentist on Monday for a cleaning, and not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete