Monday, July 23, 2012

one more time ...

I'm safely tucked into my corner at the library, rather enjoying not having internet at home.  There are a lot of people here today because it has been raining, raining, raining!

Here is my account of the trip South.  Jubilee and I have it down to a science.  Alternating between 2 audio books - Herman Wouk's "Winds of War", and Rolling Stone Keith Richard's "Life" - we sailed down the highways in our little Yaris.
Before we left on Saturday morning, John joined us for one last walk in the wood.  Then we got a big latte at Starbuck's and were on the road by 9:30AM.
 Coming across the Ohio River in Pittsburgh ...
 Rainy and a little foggy coming through Southwestern PA ...
 Ah - West Virginia!
 Dunno ... seem to be taking photos of bridges ....
 The familiar rocks in West Virginia (everything about this drive is getting familiar!)
 Coming to the first tunnel ...

 ... the other side of which is the state of Virginia!
 And then the 2nd tunnel ...
 The skies became bluer in Southwestern VA ..
 More VA ...
 And then all of a sudden we're crossing the line into NC ...
... and then SC!  The only real "traffic" that we ran into was just north of Charlotte.  I thought we would avoid that by traveling on the weekend, but traffic snarls can happen anytime.
 We made our way all the way to the same flea bag/trucker Days Inn in Orangeburg SC where we've stayed many times.  I like it because it has a big field where Jubilee can run free.  I think they give us the same room (#146) every time we stay there.  650 miles the first day with 500 to go!
 Up early Sunday morning, we headed further South ...  That's my new GPS system in the photo below, bought it the day before I left.  Someone stole my other one!  I couldn't believe it, in the parking lot of our apartment complex.  Anyway, I'm trying to change my ways and lock the car when I leave it.

Crossing the Savannah River, we were in Georgia!

 Love the low country scenes from the this part of the country ...
Needed to stop for gas, and recognized the place!  Liberty Georgia.  It's amazing that along this 1150 miles, I tend to need gas at the same places.  I think I have these same photos back on one of the other trips ...

 And well before noon, we cross the last state line into Florida ...
 ... A bridge in Jacksonville, I think.  It was one of these walkways that go from building to building across about 12 lanes of traffic!
 Hi to Tony in Daytona ...
 Somewhere around Fort Pierce the sky darkened, and from there on in we drove through driving wind and torrential rain!  The kind of rain where you can barely see the car in front of you, and you're using his tail lights to guide you. 
 Anyway, we made it home a little after 3 in the afternoon.  The house was quiet as a monastery.  Dark and rainy.  A wonderful thunder and lightning storm this morning, when I woke up and didn't know where I was.  Jubilee is still a little dazed (me too) and follows me everywhere.  We both swam a lot of laps this morning.  The climate feels very different, with deep, rich wind.  Ocean air.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you arrived safe and sound in Florida. I hope John can join you soon.

    It is hot here today -- 31 C/88 F -- and very humid. One last day of this before the sky opens up in a thunderstorm. All this heat paralyzes me. The cats lay low, too. They stay clear of a-c, though, unlike their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, if your kitties were in Florida now, I bet they'd love a/c. Seriously, it is stifling outside. When there is no breeze, you feel like you're locked inside a closed hot closet, even though you're outside. I usually have a dog door where Jubilee can go in and out at will, but it's not functioning properly so I'm keeping her in most of the time. I think she prefers this. This is nothing like summer up north; where I can take or leave a/c. If there were no a/c in Florida, I wouldn't be here!

    ReplyDelete