Monday, October 29, 2012

Voting Early

John and I voted on Saturday, the first day of early voting.  We had to wait in line about an hour and a half and were constantly barraged by the couple behind us - a retired dentist and his wife.  Besides telling us about all their vacations and exceptional children and grandchildren, they left no doubt that they were not voting the same way that we were.  Typical spoiled and scared rich Americans.  I tried to be tolerant and kind, but ended up looking ahead and trying to ignore them (especially since John was egging them on).

I was also dismayed at the complexity of our ballot.  Six pages of legal jujitsu of proposed amendments.  At least we had researched them beforehand and knew what they were and how we should vote.  Even the simple voting for President and Senators and Representatives was confusing.  No machines, these 6 pages had to be filled out by hand (connecting bars with a pen), and then fed into a scanner.

If English or Spanish were not my native language, I definitely would be overwhelmed with the verbiage.   I was overwhelmed.

1 comment:

  1. I sent in my absentee ballot a couple of days ago. I vote out of New York City. I have no doubt Obama will carry the state, I just hope we get a Democrat in the House for a change. I bet my sister votes for Romney. I refuse to talk politics with her.

    ReplyDelete