Sunday, August 7, 2011

Phipps Conservatory - Pittsburgh

This afternoon we went into Pittsburgh to the Phipps Conservatory - a botanical garden and greenhouse.  It felt and looked a lot like our backyard in Florida!  Many of the plants that were celebrated were things that we had considered nuisances. 

Lovely lavender all around.
 A lot of glass art interspersed with the foliage.
 A beautiful collection of orchids ...
 A butterfly room ...
 Did you know that butterflies drink with their feet?
 This bloom was really strange.  Like Christmas tree lights?
 I need a cheat sheet like this for identifying all the wildflowers I see!
 A Japanese garden ...
 Lots of large bonsai ...
 And some strange scapes ...
 This one looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland.
 Even a desert room.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like an excellent botanical garden. Reminds of Montreal's which I haven't visited in years! The one in Pittsburgh looks more modern, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a little overwhelming, there was so much to see and consider. I need to go back to these kind of places more than once. I noticed people with books and earphones, sitting down and taking it one room (or one plant) at a time. Often I feel like I'm just skimming the surface of life, there is so much complexity and multiplicity.

    ReplyDelete