Saturday, November 13, 2010

Florida - Autumn 2010

(A controlled burn of sugar cane across from John Stretch Park on the southern rim of Lake Okeechobee.  About half way across the state of Florida.)

Jubilee and I are gearing up for our trip back to Pennsylvania.  Other than a few more loose ends to tie, we are ready.  We’ll leave Monday or Tuesday at the last.

Our time here has been a mixed bag.  It took awhile to get settled in, adjust to the change in climate, solve some problems (like the screwy electricity in the house and the gas leak in my car).  Jubilee, for her part, was jubilant and glad to be back in familiar territory.  She swam in the pool, greeted old dog friends, and dutifully guarded her cherished back yard.  I was busy.  Probably too busy.  Most every day I was driving all over PB and Martin counties taking care of old clients, mostly snowbirds recently returned to Florida, and their computer dilemmas.  There were a couple of projects to which I was committed - and I feel satisfied that those were completed.  I made some money.  I got to see friends, had a few good lunch dates.  I got to see Eric and Dawn at a picnic that we had at John Stretch Park.

I haven’t had an internet connection while here, and that too has been a mixed bag.  Mostly a blessing though.  I have had to snatch time at Starbuck’s or the library to do necessary stuff, and that has sometimes been a hassle - one more place to go, one more thing to do.  I'm at the library now.  But I have felt free of the “news” and endless internet surfing that I can fall into.  I’ve had more time and space in my life for little moments of just sitting.

I haven’t taken a lot of photos.  Here are some ...





That last photo is what I took at a red light of some sky writing.  Every morning when it was clear (most of them) a plane would write words in the sky during morning rush hour.  It was visible for several miles from I95 and West Palm Beach, and lasted for about 2-3 hours.  It read "God is Love".  I'm not sure what I think about it. 

I’m looking forward to getting back to the adventure, John, and winter.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the photos from Florida. Guess you are taking off again today or tomorrow. It's great that you can resume your adventures in Pittsburgh--your accounts almost make me want to move there! Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete