Sunday, April 10, 2011

10 out of 11

After the neutral safety switch was cleaned, the car seemed to be working perfectly.  10 times it started, we went to the park, and back, without a hitch.  This morning we started out early for a hike and decided to take the car, just to make sure.  It started without any hesitation.  Then I stopped to go into McGinnis Sisters for some sandwiches.  When I came back I started the car.  It started fine ... and then stopped.  The engine light was on.  The car would start, but almost immediately died and the engine light came on.

We were stuck.  We talked about our options, all involving a tow truck.  I carried no tools in my car.  We looked around, nothing but restaurants and grocery stores ... and a Walgreen's.  John went in and bought a $9.95 kit of wrenches (a socket set, he says).  He tightened some things and adjusted the linkage.  I turned the key.  The car started, but the engine died.  I tried a couple of more times and the same thing happened.  Then I tried one more time and the car was running!  We high-tailed out of there and home to get the new car.

Is it fixed?  We'll see ...

6 comments:

  1. Could it be electrical? I am no mechanic, but when things get erratic with my car, it usually is a wire loose. That's a cheap fix, if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's related to the NSS (neutral Safety switch), Barbara. When John put it back into the car after cleaning it, he didn't tighten it enough and some adjustment got out of whack, causing a trip to cut off the engine. It seems to be more of a mechanical/positional thing this time, which is good news because it is something John can fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good news. I hope you make progress and the car continues to chug along carrying you in safety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, so good, Barbara. I think I'm up to 5 out of 5 now. The car is chugging along. I am starting to get a little paranoid about the little things that keep happening, but so far I've been lucky enough that they happen at a place and time that they can be resolved without too much inconvenience.

    I think that if this car makes it back to FL, that will be its resting place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had that problem on an older car when in Park. I could tell it was the contact, but a quick work-around was to put it Neutral, and then it started and ran perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah - I did that for several months, Larry, and then it started not working in neutral. Now, so far, things seem to be fine.

    ReplyDelete