Sunday, February 24, 2013

A great tree falls

This tree was unusual because it was really a "twin" tree, growing up beside another tree - Siamese twins that didn't split until after emerging from the ground.  I wonder what caused it to fall.  It didn't appear to be sick or diseased.  Perhaps lightning?  The tree(s) was larger than most of the surrounding trees.  I wonder if the remaining tree is now unbalanced.

 The branches that broke the fall almost look like knees.
 This is the remaining tree - the other half - left standing.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it was dead for some time and just fell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it look dead, Barbara. It looks like the other trees to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Maybe because it is horizontal now, I assume it has been dead a while. Unlikely to be lightening this time of year.

      Delete