Thursday, October 7, 2010

colors

The colors of Western Pennsylvania and New York State are astonishing now.  These photos are just a small glimpse of the astounding color that is all around - purple(!) and blazing yellows that glow like candles when the sun hit them.

It amazes me that all the different colors go together so well.  I have to use a color wheel whenever I'm making websites because I don't have an innate sense of how to combine colors.  If you get just a few numbers off on a shade, it throws everything off.  But these many colors are all just naturally the perfect shades of orange, green, yellow, red, white and purple.

Jubilee and I drove to Wellsville today.  Tomorrow I have an appointment with Paul Spaeth, archivist for the Lax collection at St. Bonaventure University in Olean.  The drive was mostly delightful.  I had a latte, was listening to the first part of the book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and marveling at the beauty of autumn.  Not much traffic on the road.  Then the cop got me.  I was going 72 mph in a 55 mph work zone!  I was going downhill and didn't even realize I was speeding.  Damn.  I think this is going to cost me points and some $$$.

Anyway, here a couple of photos from a rest stop.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been amazed that the colours in nature never clash. Now perhaps our idea of colour harmony is derived from nature, so my initial observation (and yours) may be putting the cart before the horse. We may be a tad ahead of NY/PA now. Some trees are half bare due to the recent rainfall.

    My sympathies on the traffic ticket. I got one a year ago for driving in the mid-40's (kph) in a 30 kph school zone. Real speed demon! I got one point and a ticket. Unfortunately, since I thought I was poking along (the usual speed limit is 50 kph in the area) I did not realize the policeman wanted me to pull over. When I finally saw him, he was steamed and gave me another ticket for not pulling over. I was going 42 kph in a 50 kph zone at the time! I fought the later ticket at the court house and got the charge dismissed. That was an expensive ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of bare trees here as well, Barbara. Maybe I'll get better fotos tomorrow. I'm not hopeful about the traffic ticket. If I fight it I will have to go to court in chataqua county my. If I plead guilty it is 4 pts and a fine.. And I think the fines are double when It's a work zone.

    ReplyDelete