Wednesday, October 6, 2010

the fireplace

It is 44 degrees now and supposed to be dark and rainy again today (I love it!).  Things are going to start clearing up and warming up tomorrow.

Last night John decided to try out the gas fireplace to see if it worked.  The reason why the photo above is so blurry is because as soon as the fireplace fired up, the smoke alarm went off and chaos ensued.  The very sight of the fire freaked Jubilee out and the smoke alarm didn't help.

 We knew that the smoke alarm was too sensitive because it would go off almost every time we cooked something in the oven.  But this time it wasn't stopping when we opened the doors and windows.  It's not like there was the smell of smoke in the house.  Sadly, we had to turn the fireplace off after about a minute in order for the smoke alarm to stop.  I'll have to call the maintenance people to re-set the smoke alarm.

On another front, we bought a wonderfully warm and soft down comforter yesterday.  The kind that are good for extremely cold temperatures.  I never knew that a bed could be so delightful.  We felt like hibernating bears sleeping under it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh the pleasures of wintering!

    I don't have a fireplace. Logburning ones are being phased out here because of the air pollution they produce. I suppose they are being replaced with gas-burning ones. A friend I know lives in the Gatineau, a hilly area in western Quebec near Ottawa. She heats her little home on a lake with wood and has a fireplace to boot. Very cozy, but I find that a bit scary.

    I have a duvet (comforters) made of synthetic material because they are easier to launder. I use them even in summer unless the weather is really hot. Soon I will exchange my summer duvet for a heated duvet I purchased at Sears a few years ago to replace an old electric blanket which apparently are not sold anymore. I can easily turn the heat down at night when I plug in that duvet.

    As the weather turns cooler here, my kittehs are sleeping closer to me. I wake in the morning with one on either side of my pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is an adventure for us, Barbara. I got the real deal goose down, which said that I only had to have it cleaned (professionally) every 5 years (!) if I used a comforter or duvet cover. So I bought the duvet cover as well. I also had the choice as to whether or not to get the year round one or the "Extreme Warmth" one, and I chose the extreme warmth one. I'm sure we will never use this in Florida, but it sure is nice here. It even said that it was "heirloom "quality and I can pass it down to my heirs. It seems like a good thing to use in an igloo.

    Jubilee is very much in the habit of sleeping in her bed here, and will only get in our bed after John gets up. I hope she's staying warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Jube is not warm enough, she will probably find a way to snuggle up closer.

    Sounds like you got a really gorgeous duvet. You made a wise choice. The cover is an essential and a cleaning every 5 years sounds quite do-able. Is the down in channels or pockets? We have stores here that specialize just in duvets ... the idea is so tempting to get one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The down is in squares (pockets?). I do love it. I didn't get the most expensive one in Bed Bath & Beyond, but I didn't get the cheapest one either. It was a big purchase, but seems justifiable to me. I love how light it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Germany that was called something like Karostep and is the best way to contain the down so it does not bunch up in some places. The combination of lightness and warmth is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete