Saturday, October 16, 2010

University of Pittsburgh

Jane has been visiting this weekend.  We took her on a hike at Knob Hill, where I think that we have just passed the "peak color" of autumn.  Many of the most colorful trees are almost bare now.

We also went to the University of Pittsburgh, where Jane is a distinguished alumna.   This is the Cathedral of Learning, a huge Gothic structure that serves as a study center (of sorts), and several floors of classrooms and offices.

On the first floor there are several classrooms that are decorated in the style of the countries of Pittsburgh's immigrant population.  This is Romania (I think):

Jane is most at home in front of a blackboard!

This is the Heinz Chapel.  Jane remembers being a student on the Friday that JFK was shot.  All of the students spontaneously ran to the chapel.

Meanwhile, this was the view from our balcony a couple of days ago:


(Check Flickr site for more photos)

7 comments:

  1. What distractingly beautiful classroom! That university building reminds me of the tower at the U de Montreal. The latter is art deco, I believe.

    Here the trees are past their prime, too. The terrible nor'easter we had yesterday did a number on the trees. It is getting a lot colder here and will hit freezing at night soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't get into all the ethnic classrooms, for that you needed to pay $3 and get a taped tour. Jane says we should go back around Xmas time, because the rooms are decorated in the traditional Xmas fare.

    I am really enjoying the cooler weather and watching the colors and leaves. It is still quite lovely. Alas, tomorrow Jubilee and I setting out for Florida for 3 or 4 weeks. I have dr. appointments and some contract work to do. I will surely miss it here and already am anxious to get back for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage tomorrow, Beth! Let me know when you get home. We have been having beautiful weather here, and all of the dry air has kept the hurricanes away. Hope it holds out for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you and Jubilee have a safe trip home to Florida. It is a good time of year to travel. I will miss your explorations of the Pittsburgh area. Winter is a mixed bag of beauty and terror, I am afraid. Still, I do look forward to the winter here. I must get my snow tires mounted and the car checked for winter driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear the weather is nice now, Sally. If all goes well, Jubilee and I shoulld arrive on Tues. afternoon. But I won't have internet there - other than what I can pick up from the neighbors or the local coffee shop. I think it might be good for me not to be always "connected".

    Yes, I think going thru WVa and the Carolinas should be interesting this time of year. Also when I come back thru in November. I'm in denial about the snow and my car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss our Scrabble games while you are Internet-less, but yes it will probably be good for you to get a rest. Meanwhile I have been exploring the Amazon Kindle files with my mobile software Kindle app on my iMac. Right now I'm reading an Agatha Christie novel and Little Women. Have you tried e-reading?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do almost exclusively e-reading and e-listening now, Sally. A client gave me a Kindle last year and just the convenience of getting a book immediately is very tempting for me. And I've found that I really enjoy listening to books via my iPod (especially while driving). I'm loaded up now with an Eckhart Tolle talk, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, and another epic from the voices of African American women, Some Sing, Some Cry. I just finished FREEDOM by Jon Franzen on my Kindle. I'm probably overloaded, but it sure makes a long road trip pleasant!

    ReplyDelete