Wednesday, January 11, 2012

mild winter (so far)

I don't know quite what to make of the mild winter we've been having so far.  Last year this time we had had snow continuously from Thanksgiving on, with the temperatures never getting above freezing most days.  This year, there has been very little snow, and the temperatures are in the 40s and sometimes 50s during the day.

It makes walking around a lot easier.  Our little woods is very bare and mostly brown.  No signs of spring.
This was the closest I could find to what looks like it could be a bud, but I don't think it is.
 And this was the closest thing to a "flower" that I could find ...
 The trees all stand so gloriously and proud in their leaflessness ...
 And though the snow is virtually gone everywhere, there is this one corner on our walk where it persists ...

5 comments:

  1. It is cold today, but not unusually so -- -12 C or 10 F. It will "warm" up a bit to -9 C or 15 F and bring with it snow for two days. The accumulation may be 18 cm or 7 inches. I hope Ray shows up to shovel. People around here say it just does not feel like winter yet. There are too many milder days interspersed. I'm OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am delaying my trip back to Florida because I feel like I'm getting gypped out of winter, Barbara. I think we'll be getting more snow over the weekend too. I wouldn't complain, except I haven't been able to experience "winter" much in the last 30+ years, and I have really missed it. I'm afraid I'll get exiled to Florida for another 30 years so this is my moment!! Anyway, I have a lot of work waiting for me in Florida ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, Beth. I especially love the bare trees. They perfectly capture the contemplative starkness of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray showed up tonight and did a good job. He also asked for some more money. :( I should declare him as a dependent. He told me it was his 4oth birthday -- he looks like he is in his 20s!

    ReplyDelete