Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Decisions

This part of Pennsylvania, just north of Pittsburgh, is heavily forested rolling hills.  At one time, not too long ago, I suspect it was very rural.  Now it still has that feel of being out in the country, but it has also been inundated with “sprawl”.  In Florida, I call it the vast honky-tonk wasteland.  Heavily traveled highways lined with shopping.

The last couple of days I have been worried that the apartment that we are scheduled to move into in August is too close to one of these highways.  It is very close to the road, and the balcony and windows will open to the highway side of the building.  There are trees blocking the view of the road now, but it looks like all the leaves are going to fall in the autumn and then the road will be in full view.  It the constant sound of the traffic that concerns me, though.

Here are some photos to give you some idea of the place.  This is the road leading into our apartment complex.

This is the apartment where we are living now - the upstairs one:
This is the walk down in front of the apartments.
It really is a lovely little place, not too large.  Every apartment has its own balcony or patio.  I've already made met several people that I like a lot.

But this morning I was so worried about the noise of the traffic that I ventured over to another apartment complex in Wexford.  It was much more rural over there.  The apartments were far from the main highway, up on a hill.  Very quiet. Surrounded with a lot of woods, there would be many places to walk Jubilee off the leash.  Our apartment would be on the 3rd floor and would not have a balcony.  This is what it would look like from one of the windows:
The rent is a little more over there, but not much.  I'm still mulling over it, but I think I'm going to stay here, make my peace with the traffic and find a park where I can take Jubilee for runs.  After all, I've mostly learned to live with the ringing in my ears!  Lots of people live with the noise of highways.

It's cloudy today.  Cloudy days can happen for days at a time here.  I like that.

4 comments:

  1. Beth, is that road in the second picture the one whose traffic noise bothers you? Or is it more like an Interstate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - that's the road into the apartment complex. There are two rows of apartments. One is higher up on the hill, where we are no. Very quiet up here. The other row of apartment is down the hill and the one that we are supposed to move to is directly on the road - about 20 feet from it. It is not an interstate, but a local, heavily trafficked road - cars and trucks going on it all day and night. In fact there is a red light at the corner, and the trucks are especially noisy as they shift gears to get up the hill. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid about all this, but traffic noise tends to bring out a "stress" factor in me. I've talked to a few people who live over there and most say that you get used to it and don't notice it. One person told me that they had to move because the noise kept them awake at night, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, you do get used to it. When I was a newborn, my parents lived very near a train station. Then we relocated to my maternal grandmother's home on one of the busiest streets on Staten Island and the bus stopped at our corner. I learned early. Nowadays, I am pleased that I live on a rather quiet street. I only notice the noisiness of my location after being away in the country for a while.

    You get used to it, but what damage does it do in the meantime? Good luck on finding a quieter place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can find a quiet place, Beth.

    ReplyDelete