Saturday, July 3, 2010

made it to PA ...

 (driving through West Virginia)

It stays lighter so much later up here than in Florida, and it is so, so much cooler.  Even though it is 85 degrees here in Pittsburgh now (about 6pm), it is much different than 85 in Florida.  The air is light, and there are no clouds in the sky.  This morning, it was downright cold.

Jubilee and I started out early, about 8, and then experienced West Virginia.  Mountains.   Just mountains and more lovely mountains.  There was not much traffic, so driving was easy even though curvy and up and down.  I finished my book-on-tape (“Saturday” by Ian McEwin - I highly recommend it!) and will forever after bring along a book-on-tape when I make a long road trip.  It was like having a master storyteller at my side.

I wondered about the beauty and wildness of the land of West Virginia.  The people I saw at the rest stops are overweight - this sickness of the American poor.  Most of them, anyway.  I wonder if would be possible to empower them so that they could reclaim their land and their livelihood by living more closely with the wilderness.  Like native Americans or early settlers, they would need to turn away from the modern prescriptions for “success” and find their way to a simpler life that would sustain them.  Maybe we all need to do that.  Anyway, those were my thoughts as I traveled through this enchanting country. 

We got to Cranberry TWP  at about 1:30, and John soon met up with us.  It’s good to be together again.  We’re at the Super 8 Motel - a step up from where John was before, because they take dogs here.  John showed us a few of the nearby prospects for temporary rentals.  Tomorrow morning we’re going in to Pittsburgh to see some places there.  The rents are cheaper in Pittsburgh, but it’s a longer drive for John to get to work.

It all looks just gorgeous to me.  Perhaps especially the tall, tall trees.  I’ll get more photos tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Talk about staying light longer, up here in Quebec, it gets dark around 9 p.m. and is light around 4 a.m. (Believe me, I know! H does his best to wake me up at that hour.) While it will be in the 30's (Celsius) this week, at night it dips down to around 17 (Celsius).

    Glad the housing situation is not as bleak as it seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a chance to go downtown to see the beautiful city and the "point" where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers meet to form the Ohio River which travels through the mountains to The mighty Mississippi.
    Also, go to Station Square where you can learn about the steel and train industries, take a tour boat around the rivers, and ride the "Incline" up to the top of Mount Washington to view the city and surroundings from that vantage point. The ride on the incline is so much fun! I know a great Italian restaurant on Mount Washington with a super view of the city.
    OR, wait til I get back up there and I'll be your tour guide.
    All is well in PBG.

    ReplyDelete