Wednesday, July 7, 2010

my shady office

The picnic table is serving multiple uses for me, not the least of which is a way to get out of the cold, air-conditioned room.  Besides playing scrabble with Sally, I'm actually doing some work!  I set up a Facebook business page for JAM this morning, and did some cosmetic work on a photo that a professional woman needs for a publication.  I learned a neat way to brighten and whiten teeth! And my usual apartment search.  Waiting for people to get back to you is problematic.  It looks now like we may just get a corporate rental ($$) until the first of August.  I'm waiting for the Carriage House lady to get back to me because that would be more fun than the corporate rental, but if I wait too long for her to call me back, the corporate rental will be gone!

I'm also settling in to my wanderer / nomad mode.

It is a mode in which you keep moving, and are non-static.  Sort of like an electron, whose position can never be determined.   I can feel myself letting go of the need for sameness even as I search for sameness - a place to stay - and becoming more detached.  Not holding on to anything.  Willing to move and change at a moment’s notice.  Learning a new way to be -  moment to moment response to ever changing surrounding, and learning to make this “home”.  Breathe with it.  There's not much space for self-reflection in this mode, and that's a good thing for me.  (I do too much self-reflection, as you can tell!).

The Motel 8 is filled up with mostly working men this week.  At first I thought that they were all coal-miners.  They wear boots and big black coveralls.  Small buses transport them from somewhere in the morning and evening.  Some of the men work all night, and others leave in the morning as they come in.  Lots of "do-not-disturb" signs on the doors during the day.  I read "Firefighters" on the sleeve of one of the coveralls and asked the man what they were doing.  Oil and gas, he said.  I wonder what that means?

No comments:

Post a Comment