Thursday, July 1, 2010

St. Augustine


Jubilee and I made it to St. Augustine without major incident.  The a/c in the car works better than it ever has.  It’s actually cold in the car!  It was about a zillion degrees in West Palm Beach, but the intermittent cloud cover masked the heat.  We drove through a few sprinkles, no major thunderstorms.  I have 2 books on tape that I got from the library: “Becoming Enlightend” (or something like that) by the Dalai Lama, and “Saturday”, by an author whose name I can’t recall now.  I like both books and alternated between them.  They really do make the time go by - I almost forget to check to see how much gas I have, I get so absorbed in them.

I started the day at the dentist office.  Dr. Singh (the best dentist we’ve ever had) and her assistant were busy, but finally got the crown on my back tooth.  We talked about how special the clouds in South Florida are.

View from the dentist chair.

View coming home from the dentist:


Low, heavy, expressive - always changing from a foreboding dark grey to tall white puffy things during the summer.  They are somehow very much a part of the overall ambience of South Florida.  I want to say that the clouds are sensual.  Maybe that is what “tropical” really means, anyway: sensual, moist.

Then I finished cleaning up the house.  Everything looks good.  If you need a place to stay, or just want a tropical getaway, you’re welcome here!  I love my house, but there is something good about being able to leave it, too.  Here is the pool as it looked this morning, and the guest bedroom. 



Sebastian’s place is in a laid back beachfront community of cottages in south St. Augustine.  It sure beats a motel, and we are almost out of Florida.  Jubilee loves the beach here: the very fine sand that compacts hard so that you can ride a bike, or drive on it.  Low tide makes for a wide beach where we could walk way out into the surf.  I’m not sure if dogs are allowed on the beach or not.  We didn’t see any other dogs, but no one said anything to us.  I was happy to see Jubilee run and play, since she had been so miserable in the back seat of the car all day.  More of those days to come.



I’m trying to get myself into “wanderer/nomad” mode.  Not quite there yet, but getting there.

2 comments:

  1. Those clouds look scrumptious, as does that beach. I have a fondness for the skies above Quebec, such a vast blueness. I imagine the provincial flag's blue and white are derived as much from those skies as any religious symbolism. We are about to enter a week of heat (above 30 degrees Celsius) here.

    Embrace your inner nomad, beth, and safe travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara! Glad to have a commenter and follower here. Stay tuned. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete