Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Was this the Harmony Hike?

Last night I joined Goby and found a local hike that was nearby and looked interesting.  It was called the "Harmony Trail" and described as 4-mile section of what once was the Harmony InterUrban Trolley Line converted to a bike/hiking trail.

The directions I got from Google Maps were wrong, directing me to a Church Street in Old Wexford.   While I was driving around, lost, I happened upon a parking lot at the bottom of a hill that was labeled: "Pine Water Shed".  A gravel walking path led off from it, so Jubilee and I went for it.

It was a nice hike - more like 1 mile, instead of 4.  Nobody there but us.  Lots of thistle weeds to photograph.  Here is one with a bee, and then one of the thistle-cousin:
I like the way I was able to get the "cousin-thistle" in focus with the background slightly blurred.  I've been working on that.
We even saw a deer ...
The morning was mostly cloudy, looking like it might rain, but as we made our way back to the car, the sun came out and the thistles lit up like little lamps!
I promise, no more thistles for awhile!

Anyway, when we got back I looked at that Harmony Hike again, and I think that this was it!  Not well marked, and definitely confusing as to where it is, but it sure looks like the same place that they have photographed.

I wish that there were more walks like this through the American countryside. As I was walking I was thinking that if more people walked trails like this, listening to bird and animal sounds and noticing all the colors and variation of plant growth, maybe we could solve a lot of our health problems. The highways are packed,  each person in his own car, but no one was on this trail. What if this trail connected to another one, which connected to another one?   There could be a whole network of trails through the countrysides of America.

I remember in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area of Germany there were countryside trails like this that anyone could use to bike or hike to get from town to town. And people did it and loved it! What would it take to get this kind of everywhere-Appalachian-trail all across America?

This hike gave me a good feel for how the land was/is around here. 

"In those first days, people said, a squirrel could run the long length of Pennsylvania without ever touching the ground. In those first days, the woods were white oak and chestnut, hickory, maple, sycamore, walnut, wild ash, wild plum, and white pine. The pine grew on the ridgetops where the mountains' lumpy spines stuck up and their skin was thinnest.: -Annie Dillard

9 comments:

  1. In Sooke, on the west coast of Vancouver Island, there is a trail created from the tracks of a railroad line no longer used. Very scenic, along the coastline. My friends run there regularly; I could only manage a bit of a walk. Good to see that old railroad lines are put to such great use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that there were more walks like this through the American countryside. As I was walking I was thinking that if more people walked trails like this, listening to bird and animal sounds and noticing all the colors and variation of plant growth, maybe we could solve a lot of our health problems. The highways were packed, but no one was on this trail. What if this trail connected to another one, which connected to another one - there could be a whole network of trails through the countrysides of America. I remember in the Garmisch area of Germany there were countryside trails like this that anyone could use to ride a bike or hike to get from town to town. And people did it and loved it? What would it take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I think I'll put those comments out on the main page -- I always have more to say than I think I do at first! Thanks Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of Garmisch as well!!!!! The walking trails are amazing -- as they tend to be in Germany, a land of walkers. You could take a wheelchair on most of them without a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bee on the thistle. I have some photos of animal/"weeds" in the mountains near Penn State. I was on a retreat in the Allegheny mountains.

    Jube and the deer is wonderful. How'd you keep Jubilee from chasing the deer?

    Don't know a thing about the Harmony Hike, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jubilee didn't see the deer until we got a little closer and it went back into the woods. She got the thrill of the smell though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think many people know about the Harmony Hike, Jane - Now I have something to show you when you come up! I can't wait to get into PGH! People say such good things about it. My neighbor, who came here from S. Calif, says that it's great. His daughter works for the Steelers and he has tickets for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello deer. When I lived in Pittsburgh, they closed down school on the first day of deer hunting season - true. Nice photos - and thanks for introducing me to Goby

    ReplyDelete
  9. The deer are sure plentiful around here. I see quite a few on the side of road, many of them don't make it across ...

    ReplyDelete