Wednesday, September 1, 2010

All This - and a husband who's a Westinghouse Engineer

UPDATE:  All I have is a copy of a copy of the original ad - not a good reproduction.  A PDF of this ad can be found by clicking HERE.

One of John's co-workers gave me a xerox copy of an ad from the May 1957 issue of Combustion Magazine.  I'm looking for a scanner so I can post it here.  A happy housewife with the skyline of Pittsburgh.  Here is an excerpt ...

HAPPY?  What wife wouldn't be, knowing her husband will enjoy all the advantages of a creative career in Atomic Power with Westinghouse while her family derives all the advantages of living in NEW Pittsburgh.  There's good reason why this vast metropolis is called "The Renaissance City of America".  You need only see the lovely new homes, modern schools, smart shops, and inspiring cultural centers that blanket this city, and you know there is no finer locale for your career as a home-maker, and your husband's career as a Westinghouse engineer ...

Send your resume to ... Westhinghouse Electric Corp.  ... First in Atomic Power

Gee.  They didn't even call it "nuclear" power back then.

4 comments:

  1. I would certainly like to see this ad -- my son is a project manager for Westinghouse Nuclear & would like a copy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen, send my your mailing address and I'll mail you a copy. I don't have access to a scanner here. It's not the best quality because it has been copied and copied. My husband also works with Westinghouse Nuclear. Please email to me at shoofoolatte@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. nevermind, Kathleen. My husband sent me a pdf of the ad. THe post above has been updated with a link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    I would really appreciate the link also. I am a Westinghouse engineer would love to see in in its entirety. Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete