Saturday, September 4, 2010

The USS Requin (SS 481)

The USS Requin, a submarine docked just outside the Carnegie Science Center, was also interesting.  I had never before been on a submarine - it was a lot longer inside that I expected.

The USS Requin (SS 481) is a cold war, early warning radar picket and attack submarine.  It was used from 1945 to 1968.  From the sign outside:

Come aboard to learn how 80 men used their expertise, humor and sheer ingenuity to carve out a rough and adventurous life during Requin's lengthy defense and scientific missions, some of which are still classified today!

State-of-the-art and battle ready when she set out just days before the end of WWII, the USS Requin holds the distinction of being the US Navy's first Radar Picket Submarine.

 That's the torpedo!

2 comments:

  1. I just checked it and I was right: requin is French for shark. I wonder how this submarine was named. Fascinating to see its innards. The only ideas I had about submarines were from Das Boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so similar of a word to Requiem - I'm glad to know that Requin means shark. Yes, it was much like Das Boot inside! Long, narrow, no windows, lots of piping and valves everywhere. One would have to really discipline his mind to overcome the claustrophobia, I would think. It could travel at a depth of 800 feet. That's pretty deep. I was surprised at how large the torpedo was.

    ReplyDelete