Thursday, September 9, 2010

morning walk

I heard that John Cage walked around watering his many plants before writing music.  It’s the same with me and walking in the woods.  I need time to settle into it.  At first, Jubilee stays slightly behind me, never more than 2 or 3 feet away (who needs a leash?)  It’s only after she’s gotten used to the environment that she starts to explore and lead the way.

We walked early today.  It was cold (or, at least, what I call cold - high 50s) and overcast.  Things looked a little different without the sun.  I thought that because we were there so early we wouldn’t see anyone else, but that wasn’t the case.  The maintenance man greeted us as we arrived, and we ran into 4 or 5 different people, all walking dogs.  So I guess I’m not the only one that knows this is a great dog walking place.

2 comments:

  1. There's something very northeastern and homey about walking in those kind of woods. It seems that the Pittsburgh area offers lots of those kind of opportunities, Where I am in Central Florida, there are few such informal locations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Sally. IT is what I most miss in Florida - the ability to get out in the woods and hike. The weather in FL makes it difficult - though we did go through the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary last spring, and though it was terribly hot and I was dripping in sweat, it was a good walk. Kind of felt "cleansed" after getting through it. But it is a different experience hiking and climbing in cooler weather. Refreshing in a different kind of way. We have the Jonathan Dickinson Park just north of WPB that is good for walking around (and a boat ride). I've found that you really have to look for these out of the way places that are free to the public. Most state parks in FL charge a fee to get in, too, whereas the state and local parks in PA are free.

    ReplyDelete