Monday, September 13, 2010

Photos of ordinary things

This is the first week of my online contemplative photography class.  I'm determined not to "try" too hard (which I usually do), and not to let myself get tangled up in the God-language.  I'm just going to read the stuff, try to be open, and then see what happens.  My directions say not to try to make pretty art, but to let myself be drawn into what moves me, what offers itself to me, what draws me.  This week is for ordinary things.  I took my photos this morning while walking with Jubilee at the park.  The photo above, of the leaf caught by the weed, is the one that most touches me.  Maybe it is the holes in the leaf, the burnt spots, the very fact that it is caught and held by a beloved weed as it fell.

I'm collecting my photos for this week in a newly revived Flickr account that I've had for awhile.  The set is here.  I'll be adding to it all week.

5 comments:

  1. lovely, lovely , lovely all around: photo and thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Barbara ... I have all week to photograph ordinary things. I hope to get out of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked best the one with the ferns - IMG_6790. Luminous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that one caught my eye too, Sally. It reminded me of those monstrances (I think you have to be Catholic to know about these) that the priest used to lift up during Benediction (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your online contemplative photography class! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete