Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More about ice

Just because there's no snow, it doesn't mean that you're home free.  Getting around can still be a challenge.  It's easier to walk through a foot of snow than make your way across the ice in the field above.

I also found out about "black ice".  When the temperature is just around freezing and it starts to rain, the blacktop on the road will get shiny and become a sheet of ice.  You can't even walk on it, much less drive.

This is looking down at the icy ground:

3 comments:

  1. It is easier to walk on snow (or drive on it, for that matter) than on ice. I usually walk alongside rather than on well-tred paths because the latter inevitably are icy.

    Black is unavoidable. You just have to assume it is there. For me that means being particularly cautious around stop signs. I give myself sliding room, if possible.

    Much of the snow we had around here is gone. We have only had a dusting yesterday and today. The worst is a rainfall followed by a quick freeze. My driveway is slanted downward and it can be extremely difficult to extricate the car from it on such occasions. I park on the street instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Black ice is unavoidable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're getting our dusting this morning, Barbara. I'm always a little worried about driving when it's snowing, but no one else seems to be. I'm afraid it will turn into a blizzard and I'll get stuck somewhere. I'm still trying to avoid the black ice!

    ReplyDelete