Monday, January 10, 2011

Rocks

I don't know if I've ever looked at, or thought about rocks as much as I did at the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh.  There is quite the display there.  You can read about the different kinds of rock (which I remembered from grade school) but they all look so different.  There's are laws of how they "twin" or crystal.  The rocks from different places are distinct, and yet the whole earth is just a big rock!

This being Pittsburgh, there's a lot about coal, and the levels and layers of rock underground.  Plants and animals that lived millions of years ago used the energy of the sun to build their bodies.  When they died, that ancient sunlight was stored in the carbon, hydrogen and carbon that is preserved in the rock.
I found myself wondering a lot about time past - and I suppose that is what museums are for - how what came before makes us who we are now, and is, in a way, still with us.


2 comments:

  1. sun in rock is fuel
    rock substance
    diamond: the hardest natural substance?
    too bad we can't do like star trek
    fuel our machines with crystals

    ReplyDelete