Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rochester, part 1

I’m in Rochester NY now.  I drove from Cranberry TWP to be with my sister who had surgery this morning.  The above photo is the view from the hospital window.

I picked up a grande Latte at Starbucks and headed north at around 8:30 this morning.  Somehow I picked up a Catholic station on the radio - WAOB-FM.  I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a Catholic radio station.  Anyway, there was Mass at 8:30, a talk by a retired archbishop of New Orleans, and  a lecture about the Church Fathers.  About that time the signal became too weak to pick up anymore.  Interestingly, I was driving through a rather thick fog while I was listening to the Catholic radio station.

Then there were vineyards, signs for Niagara Falls, and northern farmland.  I find it amusing that I am driving I-90, the northernmost interstate.  Lots of tall, tall evergreen trees.  No photos of this lovely land :-(.  It's too hard to drive and take photos.

I haven’t seen much of Rochester yet, since I came directly to the hospital.  My sister is fine, looks good, and is getting morphine now for pain and sleeping through it!  Joe went to buy a suit.

(Jubilee didn’t have to go to a kennel after all.  The kennel I picked out for her was all booked for the rest of the summer so I looked around for dog-walkers.  The professional ones never called me back and then I found a 13-year old boy - Cody - who lives just a few doors away.  He’s walking and playing ball with her while I’m away.)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent solution for Jubilee. Pets prefer to be in familiar surroundings.

    I-90 is the NY Thruway, isn't it? I travelled it often while I was in Rochester and visiting a friend at Cornell while I lived in Montreal.

    Have you visited the Merton museum on the campus of St. Bonaventure U in Olean, NY? It is near the PA border. The Abbey of the Genesee is not too far, I believe, from Rochester. The Erie canal passes through the area as well. I lived in Fairport which is close to the canal.

    I must confess I did not do much touring while I was teaching at RIT.

    I hope things go well with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I-90 is the NY Thruway, still collecting tolls. I was at St. Bonaventure's last summer, looking for the Lax archives. It is near my sister's house in Wellsville, and on my way home so I hope to stop by again on Sat. This time I'm going to look for Lax's grave.

    Here is the link to the last summer visit at St. B:

    http://returntocenterofamerica.blogspot.com/2009/08/st-bonaventure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I thought I recalled you had visited there, but were a bit disappointed. If you have the chance, look up Father Allen Weber OFM, a friend. You will like him. Mind you, he travels a bit during the summer. Give him my best, if you do meet up.

    ReplyDelete